Pages

Monday, July 9, 2007

Fun way to learn colors

FUN is probably one of the most exciting word in a little child's world. As long as you mention the word fun, they'll probably come running to you begging to find out where is the fun. Don't you agree? That's why I try to incorporate fun when I am teaching Lil' C. I find that when I do that, she learns so much faster. This way of teaching is also new to me, so it's been a learning experience for me too. As I learned it, I will try to share some of what I've learned.

This is what we did when we were learning about colors. This will work very well either in a group or private setting. I actually learned this in a library storytime.

1. Get some basic color swatches. You can either DIY or like me, get some paint color samples from the hardware store : )

2. Print a cute clipart like a mouse, cat, Elmo or even a pic of your child's favorite stuffed toy.

3. Stick the color swatches on a poster board & hide Elmo behind one of the colors.

4. Then tell your child that Elmo's playing hide & seek with him/her & ask your child to find Elmo by naming the color. Your child will probably be tempted to flip over all the color swatches to find Elmo but try to discourage them from doing it. Try to encourage them to yell out the color & you'll flip it over. That way, they will be more motivated to learn colors. Of course, once your child finds Elmo, give the biggest cheer ever!!!

9 comments:

Mummy to QiQi said...

eh...your gal loves elmo too?

Anggie's journel said...

hi .. thanks for the idea , i think the kids will learn faster this way, rather then show them the colour book. TQ TQ

jazzmint said...

good idea...

Blur Mommy said...

mummy to qiqi: yep, an Elmo fan!!

anggie: you're welcome! Yep, they definitely learn faster when they are having fun.

jazzmint: thanks! I curi this idea from the library : p

healy said...

Just came back from KL. Got your tag,will finish it in one or two days time, k?

And, thanks for sharing with us on the tricks for kids to learn colors in this interesting way. I learn something. Thank you!

Blur Mommy said...

healy, dun worry abt it. Take ur time. : )

wHOisBaBy said...

wah very fun way to learn about colors. i enver thought about the color cards at homedepot can be much of a fun activity items. hehee better go there and grab some.

Blur Mommy said...

anna: ssshh... dun tell homedepot I teach u this ok? Next time I kena ban from HD paint dept!! hahaha....

G @ mommibee.com said...

thanks 4 sharing this idea, how creative! i really must print out some of ur learning tips someday so i dont lose them when it's time to teach my girl :)